Hide apps from the launcher and Just Type (homebrew) 8
If you have any icons that are cluttering your app launcher for apps that you don’t want to (or can't) uninstall and just want to hide the icon, there is a quick homebrew fix that will help you out. By following the steps below, you will totally hide the icon from both the App Launcher and Just Type, essentially making the app invisible to webOS and preventing any way to directly launch the app. However, you are still able to access the app if there is a way to launch it using Quick Search/Quick Actions or from within another app. This can be useful for exhibition-only apps that will never be directly launched or for hiding things like the Phone app if you are using the device as Wi-Fi only.
The easiest way to do this is to have Internalz Pro from Jason Robitaille (available in Preware or webOS Quick Install) installed on your device and follow the following steps
- On your device, open Internalz Pro
- Swipe down from the top-left corner to bring down the Internalz Pro Application dropdown menu and select "Preferences"
- Scroll to the bottom of Preferences and ensure that "Master mode" is turned on. If you need to turn it on, be sure to select "YES" to the warning prompt.
- On phones you need to back-swipe or on the TouchPad you need to swipe down from the top-left corner to bring down the Internalz Pro Application dropdown menu and select "Close" to return to Internalz Pro
- Locate the directory for the app that you wish to hide.
- Some system apps like Phone, Email, PDF Viewer are usually in the /usr/palm/applications folder, while installed apps are in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/.
- However, with the latest webOS 3.0.5 update for the TouchPad, many of those stock system apps may also be found in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/
- Open the app folder and find the appinfo.json file. Tap on the file and select "Open"
- Find the line of text that starts with "icon" (it will look like "icon":"icon.png").
- Insert a new line below that and type in:
- "visible": false,
- Of course, if there is already a "visible" line with "true" you can just change the "true" to "false"
- Be sure that you have that comma at the end of the line!
- Access the Internalz Pro preferences again and turn off Master Mode
- After the next time you reboot your phone or TouchPad, the app will no longer appear on your App Launcher but will still be installed on your device
Thanks to drewksparks in our forums for this tip