Making your web bookmark / launcher icon look good
Creating a web bookmark or launcher icon is a quick and easy way to access a website, but since you can only set the thumbnail/icon picture based on some portion of the website, it often does not look very good. Luckily, there is a nice workaround to be able to get your launcher pages converted from the screenshot below on the left to the screenshot on the right. Continue reading after the break to learn how
- Load up the Web browser and navigate to the website you want to save. We will use PreCentral's mobile site (http://m.precentral/net) for this example
- Scroll down to get to the top of the website where a "title bar" appears with the website name. Tap on that title bar to show the actual URL of that website. It should be highlighted already, so just do a Meta-tap C (hold gesture area and press C on the keyboard) to copy the website URL to the clipboard
- Navigate to http://images.google.com and do a search for the logo of the site you want (or use some other keyword to find the picture you want). For this example, do a search for "Precentral logo"
- Once you find a logo you like, tap on that logo, then tap the "View full size" link on the top-right of the page (if that link is not visible, tap once on the screen)
- Swipe-down from the top-left corner to bring down the Application dropdown and select either "Add Bookmark" (to add a bookmark) or "Page" then "Add to Launcher" (to add an icon to your launcher)
- Tap on the square in the middle of the page that will represent the picture of your bookmark. Pinch-to-zoom and pan around to get the logo exactly as you want it to appear within the square and choose Done
- Rename the "Title" of the bookmark.
- Tap on the URL line. If the URL is not already highlighted, press a Meta-tap A (hold gesture area and press A on the keyboard) to do a "select all" and then press a Meta-tap V (hold gesture area and press V on the keyboard) to paste in the original website you wanted to create the bookmark for. Note that it is important to set the image before changing the URL
- When complete, press the "Add Bookmark" / "Add to Launcher" button
As a reminder, these launcher icons can be saved with WebOS Internal's Save/Restore homebrew app so you don't need to recreate them after a webOS Doctor or device swap