Prevent PDK app crashes on your TouchPad [homebrew] 15
Many PDK apps that are available for the TouchPad, specifically those 3-D games, require a lot of memory to run. Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug in webOS 3.0.2 that often force-closes those apps, sometimes just seconds after launching. This can happen in graphics-heavy games like Need for Speed or simple drawing apps like Coloring Book HD. Ben Combee (@unwiredben) of HP's engineering team provided us a fix that seems to do the job, but will require a little Homebrew knowledge to work. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use the text editor built into Internalz Pro by Jason Robatille. Here is what you need to do:
- Determine the AppID of the app in question. You can do this by loading up the App Catalog entry for the App, tapping the "Share" button and select Text message. The messaging app will open. Look for the AppID that will look something like com.developerName.AppName. For example, Robotek HD is net.hexage.robotek.hd
- Using Internalz Pro, navigate to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/
- Find the folder with the AppID and open that up
- Locate the appinfo.json file, tap on it, and select "Open" to open up the text editor
- Under the "requiredMemory", change the amount to 120 (see screenshot).
- Swipe down from the top-left and select "Save File"
- Swipe down again from the top-left and select "Close"
- Reboot your device
For some reason, the apps were crashing if the memory used by the app exceeded the required memory. After making this fix, should no longer see those random crashes. If you still see the crashes, try bumping up the requiredMemory value in increments of 10.
Note that if the App get an update, you will need to reapply this change.