Quick App: podFrenzy
If you are a webOS user and like to listen to podcasts on your device, chances are you own drPodder, an app that has been around for almost as long as webOS has been. While it started as a Homebrew app (then called prePod) and eventually graduated to the App Catalog, it has unfortunately not been optimized to run on the TouchPad. Luckily for all of us, the original developer of drPodder, Jamie Hatfield, made it an Open Source app. Why is that lucky for us? Well, it allows for another developer to pick up the drPodder code and--with permission--update the app to work on the TouchPad! And that is just what Bits of God Software did!
Enter podFrenzy, an almost-clone of drPodder that now works full-screen on the TouchPad as well as on all webOS phones, too! Other than working full-screen on the TouchPad, podFrenzy has only a few minor tweaks to the drPodder code, but more enhancements are planned. Specifically, the developer wants to further optimize the app for the additional screen real estate that the TouchPad's 10 inch screen offers, instead of just running a bigger version of the phone-based interface. For the moment, the price of the app is 99 cents, the same as drPodder. However, once the TouchPad-specific updates of the app go live, the developer has said that the price will go up.
Also, if you are a drPodder user and want to migrate your feeds to podFrenzy, you can always use the import/export feature built into each of those apps. However, this will not migrate over the status of each episode (new, downloaded, etc), nor will it copy over any of your downloaded podcasts. Luckily, the homebrew Save/Restore app is here to help with that. Keep reading after the break for those migration instructions.
Note that you will need version 1.5.6 of Save/Restore (currently available in the Beta App feeds) to follow these directions:
- On your phone (where you have DrPodder), open Save/Restore and "save" the current status of drPodder
- Copy the /drPodder folder from the USB drive on your phone to the TouchPad
- Copy the /saverestore/com.drnull.drpodder folder from your phone to the TouchPad
- On your TouchPad, rename /saverestore/com.drnull.drpodder to /saverestore/com.bitsofgodsoftware.podfrenzy
- Open podFrenzy at least once on the TouchPad
- Open Save/Restore, choose "Restore application data" and restore podFrenzy
- Reboot your device
- Open podFrenzy to find all your feeds restored. You may still want to go to the app Preferences to ensure they are all set to your desired settings.